Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Community print shop

Although I think I have settled on the topic of letterpress printing for my final website project, I’m still thinking about the particular focus or angle I want for the website and that is the harder part for me. I’m also still tempted by another idea of a website listing and reviewing all the primarily vegetarian and vegan restaurants in Philly, but I saw that various people in the past in this class have already done this and I’m not sure that I have the time and money to try out certain restaurants I’ve never been to all in the next month or so. I’m also afraid it will just be sad to discover that there aren’t more in Philly that I haven’t already tried. And I just noticed that somebody did their website all on vegetarian hoagies in Philadelphia, which is the most brilliant idea! So I have to give up in this arena.


I think I need to stay with my other initial idea of letterpress printing, and start to think more about how to focus the topic regionally. Something I’ve wanted to investigate more about letterpress is how to start a community print shop here in Philly. In Olympia there is an an amazing place called Community Print, a community resource and print shop that anyone can use for free (well, I think now membership is just a small monthly fee) after they’ve taken a short proficiency, and it is volunteer run.

2 comments:

  1. I think that looking into community options like this is a great idea. Though certain schools allow alumni to continue using the facilities, there are a lot of people who do not have this option (and there's the problem of all those alumni elbowing the students out of the way!). I've been toying with the idea of looking into a community print shop and would be very interested in reading about this topic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your topic sounds very interesting, and I think would lend itself to some amazingly creative graphics and presentation.

    Off topic: You might like this vegetarian blog from Philly/Delaware:

    Mac & Cheese
    http://macandcheesereview.blogspot.com/

    Also OT, if you have never had them, the Fuh Wah Market on 47th and Baltimore makes great Vietnamese tofu hoagies. Inexpensive and delicious - you can adjust the amount of jalapeno peppers they add on top too.

    Doreva

    ReplyDelete